Monday, November 3, 2008

AI to Detroit...so long Mr Big Shot


It was a sad day for me personally when I heard the news today of Chauncey's departure from the Motor City. Don't get me wrong, I respect Allen Iverson's game and all of the accomplishmens he has made on the basketball court. But it was Mr Big Shot that took us to the promised land in 2004 and helped us slay the seemingly invinceable Lakers. I had friends comment to me that Chauncey chokes in the playoffs and hasn't lived up to his Mr Big shot moniker. I disagree. He has had the unfortunate luck of injuries in the playoffs and other factors. I firmly believe he poured his heart and soul into this organization and this team. That being said, I wish him only the best and glad that for everything that happened, at least he can go home to Denver.

I will however reserve final judgement on this deal until I see the outcome of this season. Unless we win a title, this deal means nothing. Chauncey took us to the Eastern Conference Finals for 5 consecutive years. The only thing Aleen Iverson can deliver that is better than that is another championship. Is that asking toomuch? No. Chauncey set the bar high, you are in his shoes now AI, you need to deliver.

On a side note. The Pistons did sign Rip to a 3-year contract extension after this season. Also, it appears McDyess will be bought out of his contract immediately by Denver tomorrow, making him a free agent. According to Stephen A. Smith of ESPN, McDyess will re-sign with Detroit as soon as possible.

Please leave your thoughts on this trade in the comments. Can't wait to see how my readers feel.

No comments: